Our CSA has produced an incredible bounty of okra this year. Unfortunately, I’m the only one in our house that eats them. So, I figured I’d try pickling them in kombucha brine, which also used extra kombucha. Win-win.
Ingredients (per jar)
- Fresh okra
- One clove garlic
- 1 tsp black tea leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 quart tart Basic Black Tea Kombucha (or 1/2 quart water and 1/2 quart Kombucha Vinegar)
- Peel and mince the garlic. Wash okra and trim stems as close to the body of the fruit as possible.
- Place tea leaves, garlic, and salt into a 1 quart jar. Add okra.
- Fill with kombucha. Tip: It’s important to use tart kombucha or kombucha vinegar. Any residual sugars will cause the okra to over-ferment.
- Leave at room temperature, protected from light for 3-4 days burping as necessary.
- Transfer to refrigerator and enjoy.