No one in my family really cares all that much for eggplant. But no one told that to our CSA managers, who gave us a huge helping of Japanese eggplants in this week’s share. My challenge: make it palatable. Thankfully, kombucha came to the rescue and everyone cleared their plate after this simple fix!
kombucha battered eggplant
- 1 cup fresh Basic Black Tea Kombucha
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 medium size Japanese eggplants
- Pinch of salt
- Oil for frying
- Mix kombucha, flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut eggplant into quarter inch slices.
- Dredge eggplant slices in batter, coating both sides.
- Fry in batches over medium-high heat until golden brown, flipping once halfway through.
- Remove cooked eggplant on a plate lined with paper towels, cover with tented aluminum foil until done frying.
- Serve warm and salt to taste.