slow cooker 'kombucha can' chicken
Inspired by the popular 'beer can chicken', kombucha adds a subtle but delectable layer of flavor to this savory dish. Use of a slow cooker makes this summer classic a year-round possibility. Using aluminium foil to raise the chicken above the liquid ensures the meat is steamed rather than boiled.
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 4 sheets of aluminium foil (~12″x 12″)
- 12-16 oz (1 1/2 – 2 cups) kombucha
- Mix paprika, salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, and chili powder in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Crumple the sheets of aluminium foil into small balls. Place the balls onto the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Pour kombucha into crock.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Rub chicken with seasoning mix and place on top of foil in crock pot.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low setting for 5-7 hours or high setting for 3-4 hours. Use a kitchen thermometer to ensure breast meat reaches at least 165 degrees and thigh meat reaches 175-180 degrees.
- Serve and enjoy.