It’s no secret: great kombucha starts with great tea. The Front Porch Special by Piper and Leaf Artisan Tea Company, a delightful mix of jasmine, spearmint, bergamot, Assam, Ceylon, and cornflower, is one of my favorite teas. So it’s not surprising that it also makes one of my favorite kombuchas.
Click on one of the images to the left to order this fantastic tea from Amazon. Chose from 70 gram or 35 gram sizes.
Front Porch Kombucha
- 14 cups water
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 5 tbsp Front Porch Special Tea Blend
- 1 SCOBY
- 2 cups starter tea (from previous batch of kombucha)
- Measure out tea and place in a large tea bag or infuser. Set aside.
- In a large pot, bring the water just to the boiling point.
- Add sugar and mix until dissolved. Heat an additional 2-3 minutes until almost back to the boiling point.
- Add tea and steep for 3-5 minutes. Remove tea bag and allow the tea to cool to room temperature. (If desired, transfer to a pitcher and allow to cool, covered, overnight.)
- Add room temperature tea and starter tea to a 1-1.5 gal brewing vessel. Gently place SCOBY on top of liquid.
- Taste daily after 5 days and bottle when the kombucha reaches the desired level of tartness.