Adding a base flavor to primary fermentation gives your kombucha character from the start and provides a great platform to build upon during secondary fermentation. In this recipe, a distinct island flare is provided by Lipton’s White Tea Peach & Mango. This tropical taste pairs well with the full bodied Organic Quilan China Oolong Loose Leaf Tea by Davidson’s.
island mango and peach oolong kombucha
- Measure out oolong tea and place in a large tea bag or infuser. Set aside with 2 bags of the Island Mango and Peach.
- In a large pot, bring the water just to the boiling point.
- Add sugar and mix until dissolved. Heat an additional 2-3 minutes until almost back to the boiling point.
- Add tea and steep for 5 minutes. Remove tea bags and allow the tea to cool to room temperature. (If desired, transfer to a pitcher and allow to cool, covered, overnight.)
- Add room temperature tea and starter tea to a 1-1.5 gal brewing vessel. Gently place SCOBY on top of liquid.
- Taste daily after 5 days and bottle when the kombucha reaches the desired level of tartness.