Part of the joy of community share agriculture (CSA) is figuring out what to do with all of those interesting vegetables in the box each week. This week we found a bounty of turnips. In this recipe, I boil the turnips in kombucha vinegar before finishing with a Parmesan cream sauce.
creamy kombucha turnip salad
- 5 large turnips
- 4 tbsp butter, divided
- 1/4 cup kombucha vinegar
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp parsley flake
- 1 tsp cornflour
- Pinch of salt
- Paprika for dusting
- Remove stems and root strands from turnips. Wash thoroughly and chop into small cubes.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in large pan over medium heat.
- Add chopped turnips to pan and sear for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until outsides start to brown.
- Add kombucha vinegar and boil 10-12 minutes until turnips are soft and most of the liquid is reduced, stirring often.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp butter, milk, and Parmesan cheese to the pan. Stir constantly until cheese is well incorporated, 5-7 minutes.
- Add onion powder, oregano, parsley flakes, cornflour and salt. Mix well and cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with paprika and serve.